Another small story of my life lol. okay let's be serious now.
I was never the worship leader kind of person to begin with though I'm bit of a singer. I love worship, I love worship ministers and I used to wish I can. I had this fear and insecurity when it comes to worship ministrations, I was afraid of the call and response part of. I already concluded I wasn't made for that; hell no.
As days turned into months and months into years, I began to gather momentum from friends that actually believed I was going to be a great worship leader. I took the challenge, I had to challenge my fears and insecurities. I remember taking a very big bold step, I walked up to my Music Director and I told him '' I want to lead worship next Sunday'' with my body still enveloped with fear. He told sure, go ahead.
I went home and I was like '' Oge who send you this one now?'' My insecurities were still getting the best of me. so I did what I could do, I fasted for one week to the Sunday I was to lead worship. My prayer was, Father I want a manifestation of your presence, cover all my errors and help me overcome my insecurities. That beautiful faithful Sunday finally arrived, I leader my first worship through the help of the Holy Spirit it was awesome and trust people where like kudos, that was awesome and every other thing they said that found its way to my head.
My name kept coming up for worship regularly but this is not my point. I developed this habit of always going on fast when my name appears on programs in church because I really don't want to feel alone when ministering, I want God there too. Gradually, I overcame my insecurities but I become overconfident in myself that my prayer life went down the drain. Now I thought I had arrived, I no longer fasted when my name was on program. I suddenly began to lean towards my own understanding and strength. I believed I could still sing those songs and lives would still be transformed without my prayer life. It all got to my head and I was seriously feeling myself in my foolishness and stupidity not until this faithful Sunday.
While leading worship, I couldn't feel that thing. I discovered I was just singing songs instead of worship, I was seriously struggling with myself on the altar. I had to trace myself back, I had to reflect where I had gone wrong. when I realized I had to ask for mercy because unknowingly to me I had taken His grace for granted. I had to trace myself back to Him.
My main point: In what ever position you find yourself in or outside the church, always place God as your priority irrespective of how much praises you receive from others. Don't I repeat don't let it get into your head. Don't let the praises of men draw you away from God's original design of your life. The people you minister to are important but your relationship with God is more important( it more importanter I repeat. lol). Constantly reflect on yourself to see if you are still on track and if it has already gotten into your head, God is still here waiting for you to retrace your step back to Him.
God first before anyone else.
Take heed before it gets to your head.
God still saves.
Comments
Post a Comment